Paul L. Fackler, NCSU
James D. Nichols
June 20 – 24, 2011
David Clark Labs, NCSU
Raleigh, North Carolina
Objectives of the workshop:
This workshop applies structured decision making and adaptive management to natural resource management problems. The workshop will introduce analysts to a new software package, MDPSOLVE (written by Paul Fackler in the MATLAB programming language) that is a state-of-the-art optimization tool. To learn more, please click here.
A block of rooms has been reserved for workshop participants at the Holiday Inn Brownstone Hotel, 1707 Hillsborough Street, Raleigh, NC, a nearby hotel within walking distance of the workshop location on the NCSU campus. Reservations must be made by May 31, 2011 to get the block rate. The registration fee is $100, and it is charged to cover workshop expenses. Opportunities to network with other participants in the evenings will be available.
1) Theory of dynamic optimization.
2) MATLAB programming and MDPSOLVE.
3) Constructing meaningful objective functions.
4) Optimization techniques for dynamic programming.
5) Accounting for uncertainty: environmental stochasticity, partial controllability, partial observability and structural uncertainty (passive and active adaptive management).
6) Additional features covered: postoptimality analyses and simulations; using stages in MDPSOLVE; dealing with non-stationary dynamics.
7) Example problems will depend on participant interests. Registered participants will be surveyed about a month before the workshop to access their interests. Participants will also be provided a set of solved problems drawn from the literature.
The workshop will be limited to 30 participants. To reserve a place at the workshop please send an email to Paul Fackler at firstname.lastname@example.org.