Faculty and Staff

ARE Welcomes New Faculty Members

academic building

We are excited to announce the addition of two new faculty members, Professor Spencer Banzhaf and Assistant Professor Edeoba Edobor

Banzhaf serves as the director of the Center for Environmental and Resource Economic Policy (CEnREP). Edobor began teaching this semester in the Agricultural Business Management Baccalaureate and Associate Degree Programs and the Agribusiness Entrepreneurship Minor Program.

Dr. Spencer Banzhaf – Director, CEnREP

Spencer Banzhaf

Banzhaf is an internationally recognized scholar who specializes in issues related to land  use and the protection of environmental amenities and recreational opportunities. With over 50 peer-reviewed publications and nearly 20 years of experience teaching at universities, he brings a wealth of knowledge to CEnREP and ARE. 

Before joining our department, Banzhaf taught Economics at Georgia State University. In addition to his academic work, he has evaluated public policies on behalf of government agencies and lent expertise to companies in regulatory and litigation proceedings. Banzhaf holds both a B.A. and a Ph.D. in Economics from Duke University.  

“I’m so excited to be joining NC State, CEnREP and the whole ARE team,” Banzhaf said. “Begun by Kerry Smith some twenty years ago, CEnREP has long been a national leader of environmental policy. Its researchers have been doing outstanding work to bring economic analysis to bear on the pressing issues of the day. It has also been a leader in educating the next generation of environmental policy analysts. I benefited enormously from the center’s activities at several points early in my career. I was so grateful then, and I’m so pleased now to be able to be a part of its activities. With an outstanding range of talented professors and students taking part in its activities, I’m looking forward to seeing how its future unfolds.”

Dr. Edeoba Edobor – Assistant Teaching Professor

Edeoba Edobor

Edobor received his Ph.D. in Agricultural Economics from Purdue University in the fall of 2022. He also holds a Master’s in Agribusiness from Texas A&M University, College Station.

His research interests include understanding informal and formal dimensions of small business strategy, especially in their responses to environmental shocks. Edobor is teaching Agribusiness Management, Digital Marketing and Agribusiness Accounting this semester.

“For me, there were two principal attractions to joining NC State, and specifically the ARE family,” he said. “First, was the nature of the job that I now do. Having to teach as my primary responsibility, and interacting with students was a big draw for me. Secondly, the recruitment experience for me was top-notch. I could sense the collegiality and warmth in my conversations with the faculty as well as the Department Head. Thanks for having me here. Go Pack.”

Welcome to ARE, Spencer and Edeoba!